Monday, December 6, 2010

the passing of a friend

A few days before my last exam for the semester when I was about to go for dinner, I received a text message from mone that my high school friend, lyn si had passed away. The fact didn’t sink in yet when I was having my meal. But as soon as I went back to my room and checked facebook, I saw the personal message written on lyn si’s wall that she had passed away. Tears started to trickle down my checks. I don’t really know the reason I cry too since I was never close to her at all. However I do follow her blog where she writes about her experiences during her hospital stays. It’s just so sudden, I thought her family was collecting donations to undergo a surgery but I guess human cells are just so unpredictable.


The next morning, the first thing that came to my mind when I woke up was lyn si is gone. I kept thinking where has she gone to? how are the parents coping with the loss of their daughter? After my last paper on Thursday, nov 18th, came back and saw that lyn si’s blog was updated. It’s about her funeral; the family had taken pictures of the whole funeral and of her lying peacefully in the coffin. I cried again when I saw this, guess it’s because I am scared of dying and seeing someone of similar age with me going through this just adds to the fear.

But reading about what death is from http://www.ikedaquotes.org/life_death.html that her parents posted up calmed me down.

Her family believes in Buddhism. And I can see through her blog that Lyn Si is learning more about Buddhism in her last two years. And I guess her parents’ faith in Buddhism make the loss of their precious daughter more bearable.

Lyn si has really inspired me through her optimism and never-give-up attitude in her battle with leukemia. She made me feel that all the problems that I face are nothing compared to hers. May you rest in peace, Lyn Si.

No comments: