Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hard work paid off?

got back all my mid-semester results. they're all rather satisfactory. however, due to my kiasu-ism(or to put it in a nice way, to know where's my standard), i always compare my marks with my other coursemates. they got higher than me.

sometimes it seems unfair why a person who puts in less effort than i did got a higher mark than me..
here's one example:

she parties quite a lot, does a lot of last minute studying, seldom attends lectures, reads only the lecture notes while i did my tutorials weekly, attend lectures almost every other week, read my textbook chapters but she got a higher mark than me.

one more:

i read my textbook, make notes, attend lectures&tutorials..she did about the same thing(not the textbook part though), she kept on saying she doesn't like this subject, but ended up getting a higher mark than me.

so here's one advice that my friend gave me to make me feel better.
If you work hard, it doesn't mean you'll achieve excellent results but if you don't work hard, you'll definitely not be able to get excellent results. the point being made here is AT LEAST YOU'VE TRIED.

and i dislike comments by people like "you genius", "ahya, you don't have to be afraid of the results wanla, cos you always do so well" and when the results are good, they say "see, you guys surely get good results wan" and if results are bad, they have nothing to say already. what the heck man?! just by labelling us "genuis", all the effort we put in to achieve the results are forgotten? you don't know how much time we spent studying in order to get good results and all that we get is "ahya, u so clever,sure can wan la." i guess all these comments don't mean any harm, it's just me who is overly sensitive =).

p.s. i do use such comments at times too, but I'm trying hard not to use it because i personally think that it's rather insensitive to give such comments.

3 comments:

Joyce Teh said...

Hey mich!!
long time no chat d...
i hope that u're doing fine..
:)
just wanna say that.. as long as you've tried your best...that's all that matters... the hardworking shall be rewarded in the end.. and i know that you are one of them.. :)

mich said...

hey joycie, yeah it's been almost a year! i know you're having a good life back in kampar *winks*
thanks for the comforting words, yeah as long as we put in our 100percent =)

Sarah Sue said...

I totally understand! : ) haha! esp the remarks part : D

Don't worry Michelle, your efforts will definitely pay off in the long run. : )

I like this quote by Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry:

"The one thing that matters is the effort. It continues, whereas the end to be attained is but an illusion of the climber, as he fares on and on from crest to crest; and once the goal is reached it has no meaning"

: )

and finally this by Liane Cordes:
"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

: ) : )

You've always inspired back in INTI to, um, not do last minute work (as i usually do)! XD

smile!