Friday, July 24, 2009

im not a banana

some typical Chinese educated people stereotypes people who doesn't speak mandarin..of course, this does not refer to my inti friends cos' they're totally the opposite..I'm saying some other groups of people i know..once i went out for lunch with my aunt and her colleagues..one of them(let's call her A), asked me " hao he mah?"(is the drink nice or not).. then i was like nodding my head cos' i suddenly couldn't find the right words to answer her. and straight away A asked me "ni hui jiang hua yu?" and my aunt said " she's English-educated". after listening to my aunt's reply, A was like " ahyo cham lo". the next question she asked was "ni hui xie ni de ming zi mah?"..i was like " dang rang hui la". i don't speak much because my pronunciations are not very good. i admit i do mix up hokkien and mandarin at times but even if i don't speak in mandarin, it doesn't mean i dunno.. i only speak in front of people i feel comfortable speaking with.
so here's some sentences to prove I'm not a banana!!
1) wo bu shi xiang jiao"banana"
2) wo bu jiang hua yu bu dai biao wo bu hui jiang hai shi bu hui ting
3) wo zi shi bu tai hui xie
4) wo fei chang xi huan ting cai ming yo he wang lee hong de ge

8 comments:

Eleanor Cheng said...

waseh..ur hanyu pinyin is like better than mine..

yingjieliow said...

goooood!

mich said...

thanks yj! =)

mich said...

haha...kp i can't be better than you wan la.. =)

[A]ngelin[lch] said...

hahaha...yay! agree with this post totally...but i prefer not to argue wif ppl when they assume i can't speak or understand wat they're talking abt. it's good in one way coz i can eavesdrop on wat they're talking abt...lolXD

Eleanor Cheng said...

cannottttt..i took a very long time to decipher what u wrote u noe...because my hanyu pinyin sudah degrade..
last time i cannot write those chinese words but my hanyu pinyin is the best one..but now both also cannot..can speak nia nia

Eileen 杨 said...

hahaha... of course..you can speak chinese fluently at home.. I guess, next time when you come to my house, I should make a video about "Michelle is fluent in Chinese".. then you could show them :" Nah!prove!" ...hahaha

mich said...

helo my dear cousin! wah wanna make blog sumore ar? yours truly very paiseh la..LOL